Isaac Wesley Rodkey was born in Maryland, the son of a farmer, in 1864. His family was originally from Germany, immigrating to America in the early 1700’s. In 1881, Isaac moved to McPherson, Kansas, to learn the flouring mill business. Here Isaac met Alice Kate (known as Catherine) Rank, in 1888.

In 1894 the Rodkey family, which included two young children, moved to Oklahoma City where he became a partner in Acme Mill. Three years later the Rodkeys moved to Edmond and Isaac and his new partner, George Farrar, purchased the Gallihue-Martin Mill, renaming it Eagle Flouring Mill.

House moving day, 2007The Rodkey family now had three children, Bess and her younger brothers Earl and Don. The family had been living in a rental house but soon moved into a fine new home. Built in 1900, it was on a corner lot facing Normal Avenue, later named Campbell Street. Rodkey’s partner, George Farrar, built a home directly behind the Rodkeys across the alley.

Restored gableCatherine quickly became active in Edmond social and cultural life as well as Methodist Church activities. Early newspaper articles attest to her skill and talent as a hostess for these various groups. She was the founder of the Edmond Gardening Club which became active in landscaping Edmond’s first city park, North Park. The later named Mitch Park was directly across the street from the Rodkey home and for many years was filled with flowers and trees and shaded paths as well as a grand fountain.

Interior view of homeToday it is the site of the downtown US Post Office. In 1911, Rodkey bought out Farrar, and sold one-half interest in the mill to his eldest son, Earl. The flouring mill was closed in 1972. In 1922, Issac purchased a large brick home on Jackson Street and sold the Campbell home to his youngest son, Don, who lived there with his wife until 1960. The home went through a series of ownerships until an Edmond businessman donated it to the City of Edmond.

Restored house exteriorThe city relocated the home to Stephenson Park in 2007. The park, originally named South Park, is the home of two Works Progress Administration (WPA) buildings. The old National Guard Armory and American Legion Hut are both listed on the National Register of Historic Places and Stephenson Park is listed on the Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory.

The recently renovated Rodkey House is available for event rentals. Click here to Learn More